My Happy Mind
We are happy to share with you that we are now a My Happy Mind school!
My Happy Mind is an award-winning programme that is grounded in neuroscience and scientific research. It is a preventative programme designed to support the development of good mental health habits, resilience and self-esteem. It has been commissioned by the NHS and we have been able to access it through support from Cheshire West and Chester Local Authority.
My Happy Mind is all based around helping children to understand how their brain works, to support them in developing positive skills and habits to be their very best selves! Lessons are delivered every week, alongside assemblies and whole school activities. My Happy Mind teaches children all about their brains and how they work. This helps children to keep a happy and healthy mind.
Mrs Thorpe, Miss Hennessey and Miss Thwaite are our My Happy Mind Ambassadors for St Mary's.
You can find out what the children have been learning and further support the development of these good mental health habits at home through the My Happy Mind parent app. The app includes videos so that you can follow along with the children's learning, audio breathing exercises, stories and fun activities that you can do together at home. Information about how to access the app has been sent home on letters and the weekly newsletters. If you have any questions, or difficulties accessing the app, please do not hesitate to contact us in school.
There are 5 Modules within My Happy Mind which will take place throughout the year:
1. Meet your brain Meet Team HAP! Team HAP helps children learn all about 3 key parts of their brain: the hippocampus, the amygdala and the pre-frontal cortex. Why not ask your child what they can remember about these parts of their brain?
2. Celebrate - children build self-esteem by learning all about their character strengths
3. Appreciate - children are supported to develop an attitude of gratitude which has a proven, positive impact on mental wellbeing
4. Relate - children learn to improve their listening skills so that they are better able to communicate and understand each other
5. Engage - children will build resilience through setting and achieving goals.
Access the parent app to find out more!